[nagdu] Airports

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 02:30:25 UTC 2010

Up until last August, I haven't flown to a destination for a long
enough time to need a releif area, but as some may remember, i went to
Florida for a family vacation last August. I flew through Houston
International and was able to access a relief area on both the
outbound and the return trips between plane changes. Though when
making the reservations I initially was concerned by the long layover
time, of an hour on the return and 1.5 hours in the outbound, I'm now
thankful that they were long. That gave me enough time to, with
airport assistance, go relief my guide and get back to the connecting
gate. This assumes that the airport assistant knows where the relief
area is, which in the case of the man I got on the outbound leg, he
did not. I'm sure he memorized it by the time we spent a good 20
minutes at least in trying to find it though. The relief area, which
appeared to be for any dog, was not much more than a patch of grass
and weeds at the side of a building, but I think Gucci was grateful
for anything. She's showed me in the year plus that i've had her, if
she has to go bad enough, in whatever output, she'll go on anything.
Anyway, fortunatley the person on the return trip knew where the
relief area was and we got back inside and through security with time
enough for me to go and grab some lunch for the plane. But I don't
remember waiting that long at the gate to board, so those hour or 1.5
hours are really handy layover times. I can't imagine trying to cram
everything into 30 minutes or so.

Wayne