[nagdu] Finicky eaters

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 19:02:31 UTC 2010

Gary,

Oh, yeah.  He's a poodle.  /grin/  Poodles can take their time about filling
out even when they reach their full height.  Same goes for psychosocial
maturity.  /smile/  I thought Mitzi was pretty grown up at 2, but then
another spring rolled around, and I suddenly relaized she was the dog I had
had in mind when I got her.  /smile/  I've even noticed her getting more
settled and sensible as she's come around to 4.  So the distractability,
excitement, deciding which way to go when I don't know and getting it wrong
and all that have now become active, intelligent alterness and awareness,
with some really good judgment behind it.  Which I love, actually.  She
still has tons and energy and play, of course, but she's not constantly
bouncing off the walls.  Whew!

Oh, she's around 50 pounds, too.  Great size, really.

Bogart's eating habits sound totally familiar.  Like you, I took to just
leaving the food down, giving her the appropriate amount morning and night
but allowing her to eat when she was ready.  Because that was what worked.
I just have to remember that when I'm preparing to dash out for a busy day
to make sure she eats breakfast -- usually by putting a dollop of something
on the kibble -- or remember to take a bag of food with me to give her a
meal or just hand feed her at times when we have a break.  Not kosher guide
dog handling, not by a long shot, but it's what works.  /smile/

Anyway, glad you're having fun and that your SO has taken to him, too.  That
makes a difference, doesn't it?  And remember that taking the dog will seem
like an inconvenience for awhile until suddenly you realize that you don't
even think of grabbing the cane instead of the harness, because the cane
doesn't seem so much more convenient to you.  /grin/  That's a nice feeling.
And it was when I knew we were finally a team after all and settling into
our partnership.

Tami Smith-Kinney