[nagdu] Finicky eaters

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 23:20:24 UTC 2010

My vet who even sells kibble in his office, thinks my dogs are pretty
healthy.  He doesn't get extra money from me for things like teeth
cleaning since my dogs all have white teeth, but he still loves me
anyway! lol!  Actually Bristol, my 12.5 year old dog has been eating
this way for ten years and he always comments on how healthy she is.

My dogs do get fed by hand, and have occasionally been fed by hand
from the table, We call this doggie Zen.  This means that in order to
get what you want, you must ignore the thing that you want.  In order
for me to think about feeding you from the table, you must be laying
calmly, head down, and ignoring me, and my food.
It is how I first teach young dogs to lay under a table once they
understand the concept of Zen which is used in many situations.  I
eat, dog ignores me, click and treat.
So come dinner time we have four dogs laying under the table ignoring
us.  Well Mill'E is waiting for me to drop something like a fork or a
box so she can pick it up and bring it to me in hopes for "a tip."
Once I dropped a bunch of frozen hamburger patties on the floor and
she picked them up, one by one and handed them to me.  Since the said
patties were by then, covered with dog spit and floor germs, I saved
them for the dogs.  It was still great to see that my dog could
retrieve even food items without snarfing them down.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point
out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-
wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."-- Neil Gaiman
http://www.pawpowercreations.com/retreat.html
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl