[nagdu] Ten years ago...

Susan Jones sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 10 00:21:54 UTC 2010

Jennifer,
Warm congratulations to you and Nixon!
Blessings,
Susan & Rhoda

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Jen&Nixon
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:04 PM
To: 'NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
Subject: [nagdu] Ten years ago...

July 9th is a very special day, and a milestone has been reached, in the
guide dog lifestyle.

July 9th, the day, for the first time, all alone, 18 years of age, flew
across Canada to train at Canine Vision Canada/Lions Foundation of Canada,
for my first guide dog.

That was a bad year for me overall, but since that time, i have grown to a
mature young lady, making preparations to go into the self-employment world.

Bronze, my first guide dog, still resides with us, in royal retirement, and
will turn 12 in November. Bronze got me through many travels to Toronto, New
York state, car travels with him hugging his favourite pillow with all his
might, chocolate toxicity, ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC; dad's
employment) rumours of the chewed-up passenger seat, dropping out of high
school, illnesses, carpal tunnel, dog attacks, speaking engagements, etc.

Even though Bronze was not considered a good match for my situation, he
taught me so much what I needed to consider for my subsequent dog. In 2005,
I trained at GDB's Oregon campus to train with Nixon... the most perfect gem
of all. In the five years we've been together, we went to college, traveled
to the US, chocolate toxicity, ring bearer for sister's wedding, walked
across graduation stage twice, volunteering at Red Cross, sit on various
city council sub-committee, Toastmasters, etc.

I love guide dogs so much. Traveling with a guide dog is a complete godsend
for my case as a deafblind women, not just for independence, but for safety
as well.

Nixon shines his way in our travels... we've been doing far more walking
then I ever have done when I started out as a guide dog user, doing way more
activities, and just truckin' along.

May I have many more guide dog journeys ahead!

Jennifer McEachen and "Nixon"
Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc.
Alumni Association Board of Directors and secretary jenandnixon at gmail.com /
jmceachen at guidedogs.com