[nagdu] Reference Needed

Gail Smith mail.gailsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 00:24:36 UTC 2010

Hi Marion!
Is this what you were looking for?
This was taken from the NFB web site.  The link for the web page is at the
bottom.

White Cane Safety Day: A Symbol of Independence
by Marc Maurer
In February of 1978 a young blind lady said, "I encounter people all of the
time
who bless me, extol my independence, call me brave and courageous, and
thoroughly
miss the boat as to what the real significance of the white cane is."
The National Federation of the Blind in convention assembled on the 6th day
of July,
1963, called upon the governors of the fifty states to proclaim October 15
of each
year as White Cane Safety Day in each of our fifty states. On October 6,
1964, a
joint resolution of the Congress, HR 753, was signed into law authorizing
the President
of the United States to proclaim October 15 of each year as "White Cane
Safety Day."
This resolution said: "Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives.,
that
the President is hereby authorized to issue annually a proclamation
designating October
15 as White Cane Safety Day and calling upon the people of the United States
to observe
such a day with appropriate ceremonies and activities."
Within hours of the passage of the congressional joint resolution
authorizing the
President to proclaim October 15 as White Cane Safety Day, then President
Lyndon
B. Johnson recognized the importance of the white cane as a staff of
independence
for blind people. In the first Presidential White Cane Proclamation
President Johnson
commended the blind for the growing spirit of independence and the increased
determination
to be self-reliant that the organized blind had shown. The Presidential
proclamation
said:
The white cane in our society has become one of the symbols of a blind
person's ability
to come and go on his own. Its use has promoted courtesy and special
consideration
to the blind on our streets and highways. To make our people more fully
aware of
the meaning of the white cane and of the need for motorists to exercise
special care
for the blind persons who carry it Congress, by a joint resolution approved
as of
October 6, 1964, has authorized the President to proclaim October 15 of each
year
as White Cane Safety Day.
Now, therefore, I, Lyndon B. Johnson, President of the United States of
America do
hereby proclaim October 15, 1964 as White Cane Safety Day.
With those stirring words President Johnson issued the first White Cane
Proclamation
which was the culmination of a long and serious effort on the part of the
National
Federation of the Blind to gain recognition for the growing independence and
self-sufficiency
of blind people in America, and also to gain recognition of the white cane
as the
symbol of that independence and that self-reliance.
The first of the state laws regarding the right of blind people to travel
independently
with the white cane was passed in 1930. In 1966, Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, the
founder
of the National Federation of the Blind, drafted the model White Cane Law.
This model
act--which has become known as the Civil Rights Bill for the Blind, the
Disabled,
and the Otherwise Physically Handicapped--contains a provision designating
October
15 as White Cane Safety Day. Today there is a variant of the White Cane Law
on the
statute books of every state in the nation.
>From 1963 (and even before) when the National Federation of the Blind sought
to have
White Cane Safety Day proclaimed as a recognition of the rights of blind
persons,
to 1978 when a blind pedestrian met with misunderstanding regarding the true
meaning
of the white cane, is but a short time in the life of a movement. In 1963, a
comparatively
small number of blind people had achieved sufficient independence to travel
alone
on the busy highways of our nation. In 1978 that number has not simply
increased
but multiplied a hundredfold. The process began in the beginning of the
organized
blind movement and continues today. There was a time when it was unusual to
see a
blind person on the street, to find a blind person working in an office, or
to see
a blind person operating machinery in a factory. This is still all too
uncommon.
But it happens more often and the symbol of this independence is the white
cane.
The blind are able to go, to move, to be, and to compete with all others in
society.
The means by which this is done is that simple tool, the white cane. With
the growing
use of the white cane is an added element--the wish and the will to be
free--the
unquenchable spirit and the inextinguishable determination to be
independent. With
these our lives are changed, and the prospects for blind people become
bright. That
is what White Cane Safety Day is all about. That is what we do in the
National Federation
of the Blind
Model White Cane Law
©2010 All Rights Reserved - Copyright 2010 NFB

http://www.nfb.org/nfb/White_Cane_Safety_Day.asp?SnID=2