[nagdu] Guide dogs and airport security

Susan Jones sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 18 03:00:39 UTC 2010

Jewel,
Thanks for your research.
I now have this in my favorites.

(I like the part about the monkey.)
Susan & Rhoda

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Jewel S.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2010 9:13 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Guide dogs and airport security

According to the TSA (Transportation Security Administration, under the
Department of Homeland Security), " {The} belongings (collar, harness,
leash, backpack, vest, etc.)...
will not be removed from your dog at any time..."

I think it might be a good idea for each guide dog handler and person with a
visual impairment to print the relevant sections from the TSA website. There
is a good section for "Visual Impairment," as well as the "Service Animal"
section I have linked to below. Just look at the bottom of the page for
navigation to other sections about other disabilities. This is truly a good
resource and it is the federal government, so it is a good credible source.

Source: Homepage of the Transportation Security Administration, within the
guidelines for People with Disabilities, "Service Animals."
<http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1056.shtm>