[nagdu] Guide dogs and airport security

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 21:22:30 UTC 2010

I do something very similar on the buses here in Raleigh, North
Carolina. Our buses have three accessible seats on one side and two on
the other. Both sides can fold up for wheelchair access. If I get on
the bus and the accessible seats are all taken, I note that the seats
are for people with disabilities and the elderly and that I have
physical problems that make it hard for me to walk and I also need to
be able to talk to the bus driver to discuss which bus stop I need to
get off. The few times I have given in and sat somewhere else, I
missed my stop...so, I stand my ground. The bus driver cannot move
with me standing up because it is a liability (if I fall, it's his
fault and I can sue the bus company for medical bills, etc), and he's
not supposed to drive with anyone in front of the yellow line by the
door. So, I stand on the yellow line and tell the bus driver that I
need a seat up front to be able to remind him of my stop and because I
have a physical problem. Often, it is a mother and child who are
taking up the accessible seats, and I have no qualm about kicking them
back to another seat. Unless there are two wheelchairs or six disabled
people already on the bus, there is always an accessible seat
available, and I refuse to sit elsewhere. I have good reason and I
will stand by it, and I am glad to see someone else who does the same.

BTW, our bus system calls it accessible seating, a much better term in
my opinion!