[nagdu] Dogs misbehaving in Public

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 23:46:45 UTC 2010

Meghan,

That actually makes perfect sense.  Since I was owner-training my pup, I
didn't have a handy vest, but I learned to handle the necessary PR myself,
to let store or restaurant managers and staff know she was in training and
that I would voluntarily remove her if she became a disruption.  It worked
pretty well, really.

That being said, there were times -- not many, I'm glad to say -- when I did
have to remove her because I believed she was being too disruptive for the
setting.  So we would work on the behavior and go back again later.  I think
a time or two, we went back immediately after I got her settled down and
listening again.  For the most part, I could work with her in the situation,
although it could get pretty embarrassing, since everyone else there had to
stop and watch.  And laugh at some of her antics because she is such a
silly.  /smile/

I think the socialization part of guide dog training is incredibly imporant,
as it leads to the etiquette our dogs need to move around in the human world
without causing problemsor creating disturbances.  The only way you can
truly train a young dog how to behave in a high-stimulus environment is to
take it into the environment and work with it there.

Must be fun raising a guide dog pup...  I'm strongly learning toward getting
a young pup -- 12 weeks max -- next time, so that I can start the
socialization and obedience conditioniing when the critter is still young
and impressionable.  Mitzi's great, but she started out as a 7-month-old
blank slate, and had already started to develop her self-determination and
individualism....  There were times this made things a bit too
interesting... /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney