[nagdu] EXTERNAL: Puppy raising

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 31 17:09:40 UTC 2010

Danielle,

I love how you and Jordan describe puppy raising!  It's a never-ending 24/7
project, but when you enjoy it so much, it hardly counts as work, does it?
/smile/

I guess, thinking back, I did what you do...  Ask!  I guess I wasn't
thinking of it in legal terms at the time, I was simply trying to meet my
dog's training and exposure needs while doing my best to maintain courtesy
towards others myself... Especially when she was a wriggly, levitating
perpetual motion machine of a pup!

As an owner-trainer, I spent a lot of time in a sort of gray zone, though,
between "fully trained" working guide and learning on the job guide.  If
that makes sense.  Without the division of labor between puppy raiser and
guide dog trainer, there's no clear transition between socialization and
guide training.  So I was confused as to where I stood on a legal basis, but
really much to exhausted to worry about it.  /smile/  There were a couple of
times when I wondered what would have happened in case of dog attack or the
like, but am just as happy I never had to find out!  Whew!

But as an owner-trainer, I will always be strongly opposed to the notion of
ID or certification.  Were I raising a puppy for a school which had worked
out arrangements  before hand, as I think GDB does here in Portland -- thus,
the green vests! -- that would be a different matter.  But I would not want
to be disallowed to train my pup because I was my own school.

Of course, while I've played with the idea of raising a pup for a school,
I've never followed through.  The thought of giving it up just as it was
becoming a dog was a bit much.  Well, also, I ended up  never having time or
the right living circumstances what with following my career and all.
Anyway, I do love your stories of puppy raising with guide dogs.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney