[nagdu] clicker training

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 17:12:04 UTC 2010

Meghan,

Before I introduce the concepts of guide work, I thoroughly introduce
my dog to the clicker and what it means.  The clicker game means that
when my dog does something I want, I click and give a reward.  When
the dog isn't doing what I want, I'll ignore her, do what we call a
reset and provide the dog another opportunity to try and figure out
what I want.

So we take this concept to guide work.  I've introduced the harness,
clicked for interacting with it and by now my dog understands that
putting on the harness is a great thing.
Next I find a place without obstacles.  I pick up the handle, click
and reward for any forward motion.  Once my dog understands that
putting on the harness means that I want her to walk slightly ahead of
me exerting pressure on the harness, I'll add an obstacle.  It is
going to be something like a trash can, something that won't kill me
or hurt me if I run into it.  I pick up the harness handle, dog starts
walking and most likely runs me into the trash can because she doesn't
understand that avoiding it is now expected.  When she runs me into
it, I don't say anything.  I set down the handle, take a few steps
back and reset/rework.  My dog has been taught that when I do this
kind of reset it means that the behavior she just did i.e. running me
into the trash can, wasn't what I was looking for.  We start out again
and probably the dog is going to take me around the trash can because
last time I ran into it, the can made a bit of a noise and besides I
didn't want that.  So she takes me around it and I click right when
she leads me around it and have a huge lurve fest and jackpot of
treats.  We work at this level for a while, gradually adding in
obstacles.
Now it's time to introduce moving traffic.  I don't need to start with
cars, any wheeled object will do.  After all, it's the same concept
across the board, moving me around obstacles which also move.  I start
usually with grocery carts in a strip mall or other safe area.  I have
the person drive the cart right at me.  My dog has learned that
obstacles are to be avoided but this is new so she may run me into the
cart.  I reset/rework, give her a chance to give me the behavior I'm
looking for.
Gradually we expand.  The lady behind the cart becomes more and more
aggressive.  We add kids on bikes, people on skates and eventually
move to cars once I feel that my dog has generalized the concept of
working around moving obstacles.  I start with a friend and I have
never had a dog run me into a car because they've been taught that
moving obstacles are to be avoided.  I try to give lots of
opportunities to succeed.  I want my dog to clearly understand the
expected behavior chain before I introduce cars.
I have to say that Laveau is probably one of the safest traffic dogs
I've ever had.  Because I'm Deafblind I spend probably more time on
this skill than do most people because it is so important.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point
out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-
wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."-- Neil Gaiman
http://www.pawpowercreations.com/retreat.html
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl