[nagdu] clicker training

Lora blindhistory at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 18:45:43 UTC 2010

I  have been trying to teach my dog to come to my hand when I say
'Venez" (french for come). I started out using venez and zook the
command the dog knows to hit the target. My dog has done great with
the clicker but doesn't seem to get it after I don't click even if I
physically praise. I want my dog to come when on long leash while we
are playing.

My other concern with clicker is that at a school I went to the only
used positive reinforcement and my dog's behaviors were dangerous.
They had so many fear issues.
Lora and Kori

On 7/31/10, The Pawpower Pack <pawpower4me at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have noticed in my past dogs who were traditionally trained, a
> tendency to become stressed or worried when I give a correction after
> say running me into an object.  I correct, and we rework and the dog
> is most likely trying to figure out how she can avoid another
> correction.
> With my clicker trained dogs, they view a reset as another
> opportunity.  It is a chance to try a different behavior to see if
> they can make the clicker click and get a reward.  They are thinking,
> and want to have that reward whether it be food or a toy or whatever.
>
> The difference is amazing.
> I eventually stop using the clicker so intensely once I think the
> behaviors are fluent, however I do occasionally give a click and treat
> at random just to keep it interesting.  I also use it more when we're
> in a high stress environment like a blindness convention.
>
> Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds
> Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
> "It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point
> out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-
> wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."-- Neil Gaiman
> http://www.pawpowercreations.com/retreat.html
> pawpower4me at gmail.com
> AIM: Brissysgirl

Lora