[nagdu] First cane walk!

Gail deerskin at oct.net
Wed Jun 16 19:14:56 UTC 2010

Hello all!

I did it- sort of! Just went out with my long cane for the first time, for a
walk up to the corner and back. I was wearing my Cocoon sunglasses, but they
are just good sunglasses, not blocking like sleepshades. And I have to say I
felt a lot safer, reaching out ahead of me like that, rather than creeping
along with both crutches, using the left to check out things as I have had
to do. The only thing I didnt like was that the cane has a flat metal tip
that scrapes, rattles and catches on everything, even the small line dents
they put on side walks for each square of concrete. So I would have several
free steps then *BONK*, dead stop on one of those nothing cracks! Of course
it showed me well the important cracks, dead bushes sticking out-took me a
few moments to figure out what had caught and tangled it, never had that
kind of thing stop me on a walk before with my dogs!- but once untangled, I
was trundling merrily along again. Went up to the corner, and was trying to
figure out what would show me I was AT the corner. It has a curb cut, and is
straight in line with the line of travel, so I have to think of how to know
its there, with other corners in town.

But that was SO cool- instead of creeping, I was able to walk much faster
than I have been in a couple years!
Have a question- should I change to a rollerball tip? Does it give as much
information, without catching on things like normal sidewalk lines? And what
size would fit the free canes that the NFB gives out? I've found good prices
on tips on Amazon, but dont know what size to choose.

Gail