[nagdu] The Canine Sigh

Gail deerskin at oct.net
Sat Jun 19 00:49:32 UTC 2010

Heh, usually it is a sign of content. But I think it really depends a lot on
the breed and the individual dog. My first SD, Tagg, was a rough collie, and
while collies as a breed are 'talkative', I swear he has a full verbal
language of his own! And he always timed his most dramatic for the most
appropriate times. <grin>

Talking of sighs, the funniest times with him were both in church. Once was
in the confessional...I would go in, lean my cane on the kneeler to turn on
the light outside, with my SD stashed behind me on the floor. This one time,
after I was using my last SD, Anja, I was training Tagg to work for my son,
and so was taking him with me to church instead. This was the first time he
had ever been in the confessional, and was bored with it, and let me know
with a long sigh as he flopped down. The priest broke into stifled snickers,
and said, 'I hope he knows that anything he hears in here, stays in here?' I
had a horrible time, keeping from laughing out loud!

The second time, again, a training run for Tagg, we were at Mass, and Tagg
was lying at my feet, and wanted to move around. With his bulk,(his
considerably bigger than Anja) it was hard to stand him to turn around in
front of my legs in the pew, so I just moved myself over and told him to
stay. Again, a big sigh, as he looked around, and plonked his head on the
kneeler to go back to sleep. But he had done it at a moment of dead silence,
after the priest had made a dramatic statement during the sermon.....people
were dying all around, trying not to laugh. The priest, a rather stuffy one,
was *not* amused. They barely tolerate my SDs as it is. Only the pastor's
reluctant agreement allows me to have mine there.

Gail