[nagdu] Re The Canine Sigh

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 21 21:27:04 UTC 2010

You're right about those vocalizations!

I'd forgotten   about the canine moo.

"The guide dogs are lowing, the baby awakes ... "

Let me tell you about a famous Labrador yawn.

My Fiesta went to court with me every day as an Assistant Prosecuting
Attorney in Seattle, as I neared the end of my stint as a criminal trial
lawyer.  On one of my last days in Municipal Court, I had been trying a much
too lengthy DWI case.  The public defender had been going on ad nausium to
discredit my blood gas chromatography evidence of intoxication, and had
finally launched into an endless closing argument to reinforce his point.
Suddenly, though discreetly lying under my counsel table, Fiesta opened her
mouth as wide as she could and let loose with a long, loud yawn.  The
courtroom exploded into raucous laughter.  The PD jumped up and shouted, "I
object, I object!"  The judged banged his gavel and growled, "On what
ground, Counselor?"  When it was my turn for rebuttal, I approached the
jury, without Fiesta as usual, and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, you've heard
the evidence and the Court's instructions.  Now render a just verdict."
Then I sat down.  Fifteen minutes after being excused, the jury came back
and found the defendant guilty.  There was no appeal.

Elizabeth