[nagdu] pupp sitters

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Jun 23 16:51:39 UTC 2010

Marsha,

Definitely a hard decision.  My choice was based on some of the same things
and some different issues.  I live in a very, very small town of only about
7,000 or so people.  Monty is used to working in country conditions.   I
worry that dropping him into a totally foreign environment will be more
stress than is good for either of us.

I have also noticed on the last few trips I've taken that Monty doesn't
really relax and have fun when he's off duty.  I've tried to let him run on
the Flexi leash or play toys with him in the evenings, but he really isn't
interested.  He continually stays in that attentive, focused work mode for
the entire trip.  I don't worry about the cumulative stress so much on short
trips of only 2-3 days, but a longer trip like convention would take it's
toll, I think.

I also feel pulled in 10 different directions while at convention.  There
are so many things demanding my time and energy, I don't feel like there's
enough left over to devote to proper care of a dog, especially a young and
fairly inexperienced guide.

I will miss him terribly, but I know that he will be well cared for and will
be having a good time.  He's a good dog and deserves a vacation too.

Julie