[nagdu] A disaster of an SD program here in Kansas

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Thu Jun 24 11:02:28 UTC 2010

Gail,

I am going to express a personal opinion here regarding the ILC's.  I used
to work for one, and it is my experience that their knowledge and
understanding of disability related issues is very broad, not specific.
With this in mind, they are not required to have any level of certification,
but just simply 51% of their staff and board need to be comprised of persons
with disabilities meaning that that they *have been there done that*
attitude leaving one to believe that they understand your situation.  My
employment with the ILC was for 11 years, and I saw a lot, but they always
came to the blind guy to get blind info.  Says a lot.  Honestly, your
connection to the NFB and NAGDU, through peer contact and communication will
probably move you to a higher level of independence than where you might be
heading now with the ILC.

Again, this is just my opinion, and if you have other questions, feel free
to write me off list at stevencjohnson at centurytel.net

specifically, blindness.