[nagdu] My dream is gone

Gail deerskin at oct.net
Sat Jun 26 18:10:45 UTC 2010

They turned me down temporairly, till I can be stronger. But it was the
running around they expect me to do *after* I got a dog that I knew would
make it impossible:"working with a Guide Dog you should have at least three
or four routes that you are able to travel independently in your home area.
The routes should be at least six to eight blocks roundtrip". Kansas weather
being what it is-either too hot or too cold, with the very short seasons
between too unpredictable to count on my being able to do anything regularly
of that lenght outside, is what killed the dream. But later, when my husband
was canceling the appointment with the idiot doctor, we found out what they
had been holding out on us...that they had thrown out the results of all the
Humphries tests, and others they had done, and made their DX based on a very
offhand, casually done chart reading test. Their DX of me- that I'm 20/25.
No mention of how the Humphries had shown me below the 20%of legally blind,
totally ignored what I had said about how hard it is to get around because
of my depth perception. (but then, no one, no doctor, no one, gives a DA**
about that, that I cant tell an oil spot from a hole, fall over speed bumps,
etc. Depth perception is unimportant to anyone but me. No school or doctor
think it matters at all.)

So here I am. Without any chance at a dog, even a self trained, because my
family cant afford to go through the emotional trauma of getting a dog,
having it a while while I test it, only to have to return it and try another
 And I cant drive myself anywhere to train as I used to, anyway, which is
how I got things done before.
 Any school would look at that number- which is all I have now, since the
doctor threw out the results of the other tests, and took no note of what
really bothers me, and laugh at me for applying. Thats why I say I dont
belong here now. I dont want to have people thinking I'm some sort of drama
queen, who just comes to cause trouble. I joined because I was stupid enough
to trust a doctor's DX...he lied to me all along, it seems. I probably dont
even have cataracts or glaucoma, either, since I always passed the tests for
those, when I go in for glasses. I know my sight is no 20/50, but I cant
prove anything. And with medicaid as it is, most likly I cant get another
doctor-I was told the other day that its going to get another big cut next
month, so I have to be sure I dont hit some kind of cap, and not be able to
get my meds at least.

I'm so sorry. I truly didnt mean to decieve anyone here. I believed what the
doctor said, and was working on that. Now time to hide the cane, and forget
as best I can a dream that can never happen.
God keep and love you all.

Gail