[nagdu] what do you say?

Michelle m-johnson at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 5 08:44:27 UTC 2010

Hi Julie,

This is really a topic of interest isn't it! Well, I guess I'm blessed over
the fact that I don't get many strange comments, but the most common one is
almost a question rather than a statement. It's in the form of "Your dog
doesn't bite does it?" Sometimes people may add "Ok so if your dog is near
me it won't bite?" That add-on sounds very self-reassuring like, trying to
be really certain that my guide dog won't bite them!

I get these sorts of questions when I'm on the bus mostly, and once last
year when I had to get help to a bus stop at a terminal because I was in a
bit of a rush at the time, the sighted guide asked me if the dog would bite
her. She was very reassured when I said the dog would stay beside me! I find
it funny how some people think that a guide dog is suddenly going to jump up
and bite them, sometimes giving me a slight impression that Troy is somehow
going to decide one day to give no heed to my leadership and just have a go
at someone without letting up even if I were to command him to stop. But
mostly it's the impression given that the dog will just jump up and bite so
I'm apparently going to need to take good control of him just in case...
What weird scenarios I know! But that's what people give me impressions of
considering, and their questioning, somewhat frightened voice tones suggests
this implication too.

I know that dogs are dogs, and any dog can bite, but from my personal
understanding of Troy, he'll only bite you if you try to poke him somewhere,
like in the eye or nose, or if someone he doesn't know deliberately gave him
a hell of a scare, but even then chances aren't high. He'd most likely
growl, bark and then run away and howl for help. But he'd most certainly
bite if threatened and cornered with intent to be threatened. Noone has
acted like this towards, and with that sort of explanation I give to people,
they don't try to mess with him, and are much more reassured when I tell
them things like this then simply "no he doesn't bite".

Funny the way some minds think!

Cheers,

Michelle