[nagdu] But so and so lets me pet their dog!

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 8 00:26:01 UTC 2010

I, too, always make sure to explain to people that guide dogs and their
handlers have individual preferences about greeting and petting.  To the
locals around here, I even put in a mention when I can that there are times
I don't allow greeting either way, and that it is sometimes the dog's
choice.  Then I add that some guide dog handlers don't allow the public to
pet and greet their dogs at all because it is too distracting.  They do seem
to listen, although I'm pretty tired of hearing myself say all of that.
/smile/ I even have Daisy's Dad trained to give the spiel. /grin/  I have
given up hope of training him not to break the rules himself, of course, but
Mitzi has turned out to pretty good at ignoring him when he tries to tell
her where to go and she decides there's a better way.  She's generally
right!  Except for when she's just angling for an unauthorized sniff that
might offer a chance to scavenge.  That's mommy's little opportunist! /grin/

I agree that people in service industries do need to follow the rules and to
be educated about what the rules are.  If so and so wants to let their dog
jump all over the seat and mug for treats or whatever, that is so and so's
decision!  When I'm the one paying for the cab ride or the restaurant dinner
or whatever, how my dog behaves and interacts is *my* decision.  End of
story!

They can ask, certainly, but my answer goes.  This should be the case with
any passenger, and especially with their service animals!

Tami Smith-Kinney