[nagdu] So and so lets me pet their dog.

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 04:11:41 UTC 2010

No, I don't pet other people's guides unless they give me permission.
It seems like before you can stop your own guide from flurting, that
you'd need to stop flurting with those guides yourself. Then perhaps
your dog would notice and start to understand, though reinforcing the
no flurting policy with the dog always helsp this process. I've got a
dog that flurts as well and I just have to stay on top of what she's
doing and pay attention to the way the leash feels. I can usually tell
by the tension in the leash if she's getting petted by someone and by
the way her head is tilted, and then I can deal with the person doing
the petting. Most people where I work know not to pet her when she's
in harness, and I've got no problems with correcting those that pet
her anyway. I've established the rules with those I work with, such as
not saying her name when she's working, and pretty much got nearly
perfect compliance from everyone. I've even got students that will
tell me that they won't say the dog's name, even when the dog is
flurting with them out of harness, and when it's technically okay to
say her name. It also helps that there are those with other more or
less well behaved guides where I work as well. AS has been mentioned
several times on this list recently though, each person is different
and may allow or not allow their dog to do or not do certain things.
Here's my own observation,and some may disagree with it, but those who
let their dogs run wild, flurt excessively, and so forth, shouldn't be
surprised if the dog starts not minding as much and misbehaving.

One way I've dealt with those that want to know her name is by using a
different word that sounds nothing like her name. There's nothing that
says I have to tell people her name if I'm not comfortable in doing
so. The dog's real name is Gucci, but her "working" name, or the word
that's used when she's working, is the word secret. I've found this
works super, except in the rare case when she sees someone that she
adores and they call her secret, and she still responds. I can usually
keep control over her and prevent her from really misbehaving. And
then I've got someone I work with who knows Secret's real name, but
just likes calling her Secret, whether she's in or out of harness.
This method works great, especially in those cases when you see
someone on the bus or the street that you know you'll never see again,
who wants to know the dog's name.

Jmt,
Wayne