[nagdu] guide dog books

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Mar 11 13:28:27 UTC 2010

Hello all!

I've just recently read two books that feature guide dogs:
"Blind Courage"  and "Together, A Novel of Shared Vision"

I really enjoyed "Blind Courage.  It's about a guy who hikes the Appalachian trail with his guide dog.  It is honest, interesting and very well written.

The second book, "Together, a Novel of Shared Vision" was less exciting for me.  It's about a guy who looses his vision in a mountain climbing accident.  He then goes to get a guide, which fixes all of his problems.  I'm not sure if the over dramatic narrator was the problem or if the book is just that sappy.  There was a lot of focus on using other senses and how they sharpened after he became blind.   It also bugged me that the author constantly referred to guide dogs as "animals".   I mean that's accurate and all, but it was just weird.

I got both of these in digital download format from NLS.
If anyone has read either of these books, I'd love to hear your take.

Julie