[nagdu] Amount of walking

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 03:01:21 UTC 2010

Hey Julie,

I read about owner training in Partners in Independence, but didn't
know anyone who had done it. Did you owner train the other two, or
were they from a guide dog school? If from a guide dog school, what
was the difference for you? Which do you prefer overall, and why did
you chose the dog you did? Did you hire an independent guide dog
trainer to assist you in training your guide dog, or did you do it all
yourself?

It sounds like a really neat thing to train your own guide dog. A
closer bond, perhaps, and more choice on how the dog is trained.

Thank you for the welcome. I am all over the places these days! I
think I'm on a total of about 5 different NFB groups, and a number of
others, including the Google group, Blind Bloggers. I really love
learning from others, and I wanted to get more involved with the NFB.
Not that I'm not involved with the NFB, just want to be -more-
involved. I'm the sort who likes to do all sorts of things all at
once. Unfortunately, with my physical disability (nerve damage,
specifically), my doing everything everywhere is limited to
non-physical activities, so a lot of my time is spent reading books
and using my computer to learn, research, and chat with people. That
will change in the fall with college, but I still won't be doing much
physical stuff, just walking. Never will be able to do sports, never
have been able t, really.

~Jewel