[nagdu] cane or dog was guide dogs

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue Mar 16 19:13:07 UTC 2010

Jennifer,

Your guide dog, when you get him or her, isn't going to know the way to the
nursing home either.  >  A dog won't keep you from getting lost.   Most
guides will pick up on places you frequent and point them out as you get
close, but that isn't going to happen until you have been there at least
once and probably a few times.  The dog will be totally and completely
reliant on you for directions.

Like others have said the dog will most definitely pick up on your
nervousness.  Depending on the personality of the dog your nervousness
and/or lack of leadership will lead to the dog being nervous, the dog trying
to push the limits of acceptable behavior, the dog hesitating to make
decisions,  the dog might take the lead himself boldly going where no one
has gone before or some other most likely undesirable behavior.  It is a
rare dog that doesn't need direction and leadership from it's human.

I do sometimes still get a bit nervous when I travel someplace completely
new, but I have the same feelings whether I have dog or cane with me.  In
either case it is still up to me to figure out where I need to turn, which
streets to cross and when to ask for directions.

HTH
Julie

Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:14 PM
Subject: [nagdu] guide dogs