[nagdu] always taking the dog was guide dogs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 17:09:20 UTC 2010

Jewel,

What a fun kitty!  I wonder if she will figure out how to open the hamper.
/grin/  Sounds like she's learned to use it to entertain herself.

With Mitzi, it sometimes seems that my efforts to keep her out of things is
a never-ending war of escalation!  Especially when she was a pup.  She'd
have a physical and mental growth spurt and suddenly all the things I
thought were safely out of her reach were just new challenges to be met in
her quest to become the world's foremost thief!

She's chilled a lot as she's moved into adulthood, but has recently
reverted.  We had someone staying at our house for a few weeks around the
holidays, and he simply could not manage to follow the house rules when it
came to giving scraps to the dogs or leaving things where the dogs could
reach them before he went to sleep at night, etc., etc.  So we've had to
treat Daisy for her allergy-based ear infections again, and Mitzi has
reverted to a life of crime.  Sigh.

For her, the joy is in the sneaking and the successful theft itself, as much
as in the rice pudding or pie crust or bits of tasty garbage from the
covered trash can...  When we first got the thing when we moved here and
discovered we didn't have a handy cupboard space to use to keep the dogs out
of the trash, she sized it up and pretended she had no interest in it.  Like
we believed that!  /lol/  Then after we went to sleep thinking all was well,
she turned engineer and figured out how to get into it and spread stuff
around to investigate while I was still dragging myself out of bed to come
have words with her.  She was very impressed with herself!  So we tried
putting the sack of potatoes on top of it, which deterred her for awhile.
She's not really *that* bad a dog, when it comes down to it.

Only since we've had the house back to ourselves (that person is no longer
welcome!) and settled back into our nice, orderly routines, she's started
just taking the sack of potatoes off the garbage can lid so that she can get
into it.  If there's something tempting from dinner in there, waiting to be
taken out in the morning, she will do this silently so she can scavenge
whatever it is.  Otherwise, she will use the trash can to make noise to get
me to come give her attention when I would rather be doing something else
while she behaves like a dog with house manners!  /lol/

So I've been putting her on restriction so she simply doesn't have
opportunity to get into trouble, which has caused her to be more daring when
we're around to keep an eye on her.  Sigh.  A week or so ago, DD left a pie
crust shell on the counter where it should have been safe, then went to get
some pie filling and was reading the package while I did something in the
kitchen that involved paying attention to something other than Mitzi....  In
other words, we were both right there!  Neither of us heard a thing, either.
But when DD looked up from his brief distraction, guess where the pie crust
and tin were?  Mitzi was so impressed with herself, she could hardly stand
it!  She got in trouble, of course, and had to spend some time shut in my
room alone -- a fate worse than death!

Anyway, the battle continues.  I'm a little glum about having to take my
precious evenings to retrain my dog to be civilized again, but there it is.
/smile/  Keeping temptation well out of reach helps a great deal, but if
she's thieving right in front of us like that, it's going to take some more
work.  Sigh.

Daisy, for the record, has learned advanced theiving skills from Mitzi, to
add to her own set.  Mitzi moved on from paper trash long ago, but Daisy can
now perform amazing feats of getting into the paper waste -- especially the
baskets in the bathroom -- and spreading shredded bits of tissue everywhere!
My bathroom here is teensy, so I just don't use the trash anymore, since
there's not room to keep it on the counter.  In my office and bedroom, I
have my waste/recycle cans on display well off the floor.  /lol/  Except I
keep forgetting they're there unless I knock them over and keep
absent-mindedly tossing paper onto the floor where I forget that the waste
basket is not...  Daisy thinks that's okay!

Tami Smith-Kinney