[nagdu] Blind people say cab drivers ignore them

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Fri Mar 19 14:06:57 UTC 2010

I think your position on the cultural thing is more accurate. I have had
drivers speed away even after having a sighted person hail the cab, door
open and all. I have had to reach into a car while someone else opened the
door or stood in front of the cab while I got in. I have had this problem
with Muslims, Asians and just some down right annoying white men. It is then
and only then that my frustrations with my blindness and my rights being
violated that I become this uncontrollable  monster using every four letter
word in the book I can muster. yet not one of the drivers ever call the
police as I ask them to do. 20/20 or some other like news program had done a
study on white males and black males in everyday society to underscore the
ever present discriminatory practices still present in our nation. The
drivers would pick up the white guy and more often then not speed past the
black guy. I for one feel this is the very same yet very different. we are
being discriminated against and we have little or no recourse when we cannot
properly file a complaint on a yellow blur speeding away. ignorance can be
bliss, but boy oh boy is it a pain in the arse when you are trying to make
an appointment or train or plane in a timely manner. But I have also had
wonderful and uplifting moments in Manhattan where the drivers were so kind
and so genuine  some even refused to take money for the ride, but they did
get a nice tip. It seems to be the luck of the draw, but luck should have
nothing at all to do with public travel. Peace.

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.