[nagdu] Washington - Guide dog killed crossing Kennewick street

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 00:44:46 UTC 2010

Yikes!  I was so caught up in the place it happened, I almost didn't catch
the part!  You raise really good questions.  Why *wasn't* the driver
arrested and charged for nearly killing a pedestrian?  Especially a blind
pedestrian?  And for killing the guide dog?

The article does mention an investigation, but...  You have a point.  What's
there to investigate, if they know who the driver is?

We'll be hearing it on the news out here, I hope, so I'll pay attention and
keep track.  I'm in Oregon, not Washington, so I don't know exactly what
they're guide dog protection act is like.  Or their traffic laws?  I lived
in Washington, long ago when I was a driver myself, and just assumed if I
was stupid enough to hit a pedestrian, it would turn out badly for me, too.
So I made it a point to watch where I was going, especially at street
crossings.  Most people I know do the same.

The white cane has a reflective quality that gives added protection to the
cane user in darkness, but I noticed that my friend's harness from TSE does
have a reflective strip on the handle, at least.  Since I ordered mine
custom made, I went nuts and got reflective tape every place possible.  Then
again, when we nearly got hit in the cross walk that time, then nearly got
hit by a speeding bicycle on the way back home, Mitzi was wearing her safety
vest with reflective stripes.  Two people that night had to work to avoid
seeing her!  I was wearing something pretty bright, as well.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out what the authorities decide to do about it
and if the Washington afficliate gets involved...  Don't know if they have a
chapter out in the Tri-Cities, as that area is called.  It's pretty remote.

Tami Smith-Kinney