[nagdu] What do you do when you're angry with your dog?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 20:19:11 UTC 2010

Meghan,

Our Daisy dog has fear aggression, as well, so showing temper is out of the
question around here.  We've gotten her overall anxiety level way down and
take care to keep it that way, so things are much more peaceful!

Since her fear aggression came from abuse by humans, she knows better than
to take it on a person if, say, there's a perfectly innocent poodle
available!

I can honestly say that I do have the ability to calmly pull a psycho
coonhound off my poodle without turning a hair.  I was very, *very*
interested in getting a handle on the aggression without ramping up or
increasing the odds she would do it again.  Oddly, she's never actually hurt
the poodle -- or vice versa when the poodle decides to engage, which she's
pretty good about not doing.  But it sounds really bad, and I am awfully
attached to the poodle in question.

Early last week, I decided that Daisy needs some work on quiet and recall in
the yard now that it's getting to be spring.  So I decided to pull a page
from the Mitzi book and just ground her after she'd been too stubborn.  In
other words, next time I went out, I would not let her come out with me.

Forgetting, of course, that Daisy's separation anxiety is over the top.  So
I started noticing nervous behaviors and have spent the past 4 or 5 days
kissing up to the coonhound.  /smile/  She did lose it once and went all
snarly after the poodle, but she recalled herself and kissed and made up.
Or tried to.  The poodle was pretty grumpy about it all, but she's too happy
a spirit to stay mad long.  Daisy, on the other hand, has been known to
carry a pout for up to 2 weeks!

So now I'm trying a more attention-rich method of reminding Daisy to be
quiet and to come when I call.  No taking the lazy way out around here!
/grin/

Mitzi got a booboo at the park yesterday -- a pretty serious bruise as far
as I can tell, since there doesn't seem to be any structural damage, and she
only limps for a few minutes after she's been lying down.  Whew!  But Daisy
has gotten over being miffed at the horrors of being left indoors a couple
of times a few days ago to be all sweet and sensitive to her dear sister.
Nutty mutts!  Good thing Daisy is suddenly being so kind and solicitous,
since Mitzi is milking the human sympathy for all it's worth.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney