[nagdu] What do you do when you're angry with your dog?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Mar 22 13:59:10 UTC 2010

I don't ever recall any talking about anger management in class, though I
may have forgotten.  Often, it seems like a dirty little secret no one
wants to talk about, that sometimes we get frustrated with our dogs.

When the dog is screwing around a lot while guiding, alledgedly, and
really getting on my nerves, I have found it helpful to (a) correct him
for sniffing or whatever, and (b) stop and do a couple sits and downs,
holding each for at least 30 seconds.  It's a thing we can agree on--he
knows what Sit means, and I can congratulate him when he does it.  I may
also throw in a Stay, and walk away to the end of the leash for a bit.
It's really a time-out for me.
I've also occasionally stood there and cursed the dog out in the sweetest
tone of voice I can muster.  "You stupid, useless mutt!  You sorry excuse
for a trained animal!" and so on, in the syrupiests of tones.  I suspect
the dog knows i'm annoyed, though.  It does help me feel better, though.
Tracy