[nagdu] Was Guide dog killed - Contributory Negligence

David Baker david at bakerinet.com
Tue Mar 23 12:29:22 UTC 2010

Albert, whether a defendant can be absolved of his or her own negligence by
pleading that the plaintiff contributed to his or her own injury by being
negligent is often a matter of precedential case law.  Contributory negligence
is sometimes ruled out by statute, as it appears to be in many cane laws, but
courts put it back into the equation in egregious situations where it is
believed that holding someone wholly liable for damages in a certain case would
be unfair.  Often juries are given the task of determining just how much fault
the victim had in creating an accident.  The concept of contributory negligence
is an attempt to bring fairness to a tort system that must weigh difficult
facts.

Contributory negligence determinations depend upon social norms of the times,
the skill of the attorneys in framing a case before a judge or jury, a very
complex statutory scheme, or the individual prejudices of the trier of fact.
Then, too, even if contributory negligence is ruled out by case or statutory
law, a driver may just not be determined to have been negligent or responsible
for damages at all because of the facts.  Take the case where someone is driving
too fast on an interstate expressway.  To what extent is he or she negligent
with respect to hitting a blind person with a cane who is attempting to cross a
busy interstate?  What is a fair result?  How do you write a law to cover these
situations?

For every case that holds that contributory negligence reduced or eliminated a
victim's recovery, you will find another with almost identical facts that holds
the other way.  Added to the plethora of inconsistent results is that states
also have different statutory schemes.  Cases involving children running out
from behind parked cars are a good example where the issue of 'fairness' arises
all the time under tort law.  While statutes  with similar language in each
state would help generate more consistency,  there will never be certainty in
this area of the law.  In some places, being blind will always limit the
victim's access to justice.  In others, no amount of fault on the part of the
victim will limit the responsibility of the tortfeasor.

Justice and certainty are difficult to achieve under the law, because we cannot
predict all situations in a way that will allow us to write laws with absolutely
rigid results.  I think you can see that this can also be a good thing.  The
task, it seems to me, is education and establishing a balance between the needs
of society as a whole and the needs of those who require protection from
negligent behavior.

All this being said, I share your underlying anger about the fact that it often
appears that those of us who are visually impaired are fair game for
inconsiderate and reckless people.

Yours in this uncertain world,

David