[nagdu] Crosswalks, the White Cane Law, and Pedestrians in General

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:35:34 UTC 2010

Hi guys,
The conversation about the White Cane Laws prompted a thought in my
mind. I know that pedestrians, especially those with a white cane or
guide dog, must be given the right of way in crosswalks in
intersections, and it was my understanding that anywhere a blind
person steps into the road they are to be given the right of way for
their safety. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I know it varies from
state to state; I'm in North Carolina).

Now, my question is, what are the laws for crosswalks in general? Are
all pedestrians given right of way in a crosswalk? What about a
crosswalk where there is no light? For example, in a shopping center
in Raleigh, there is a crosswalk across a street in the shopping area
that most people don't use because cars never give right-of-way to any
pedestrians. I decided to give it a shot yesterday because I needed to
quickly get from one bus stop on one side to the other bus stop on the
exact oppposite side. I stuck out my cane, but it was ignored, of
course. I waited until there was a break in traffic, and stepped out,
at my usual pace for crossing, which is slow by normal standards as I
don't walk fast. So as I was walking across, one car, then another,
drove directly in front of me across the crosswalk, with no thought of
stopping or even slowing down. A third car came within a few feet of
me. As I was almost across, a car did stop for me, but I wonder if it
was only because I was directly in his path?

What are the laws about these crosswalks in areas with a lot of
pedestrians? A crosswalk with no crosswalk light and/or not at an
intersection? What about an intersection with no crosswalk? Anyone
know where to find these laws? I have some ideas how to get involved
in correcting these problems, if my assumption is correct that the
lack of a light does not excus lack of yielding. Is this correct?

Wondering,
Jewel