[nagdu] White Cane laws

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Mar 24 12:22:48 UTC 2010

Could we possibly get back to discussing better enforcement of White Cane
laws, and drop all the sniping?  Or is it the concensus that the White
Cane laws are outmoded, and we should just let them drop and ignore them?
I'm not asking for someone else to be responsible for my safety, but I am
asking that the drivers take their share of responsibility.  They are the
ones in charge of the vehicle that is a lot faster and heavier than I am.
I am especially concerned with new quieter cars becoming more common.
I've lost count of the times my dog has stopped short, then I've heard the
car whizzing by in front of us.

I personally know 3 people who've been hit.  One was crossing with the
light when a bus turned on top of her, and she was killed.  One was
crossing a quiet street, when some old fool came speeding around a blind
corner and hit her.  Now she has to use a wheelchair.  And one was me,
trying to cross a street to get home during an ice storm.  There wasn't
enough traffic, and there wasn't anyone around to ask, and I probably
misjudged the traffic light.  My dog was killed.

Two of these accidents could have been avoided, if the driver were paying
propper attention.  We have laws on the books that say they should be
particularly careful when a blind pedestrian is in the street.  I'd like
to see greater awareness of those laws.  It doesn't seem so much to ask,
to save a life.
Tracy