[nagdu] Washington - Guide dog killed crossing Kennewick street

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 16:37:51 UTC 2010

David,

What I'm hearing from my listening in on the argument is what I got from
your message:  The conflict is between the law as written vs. the real world
where it is applied and enforced.  Or not, as the case may be. /smile/

I have no legal expertise, and I do find the discussions of various points
of view interesting to add to my knowledge and understanding of my rights
and responsibilities as a blind traveler.  Although I see those as not
terribly different from those that applied when I was a sighted traveler.  I
just have had to learn to be safe in a different way because I now perceive
the world in a different way.

It seems to me that the entire concept of "contributory negligence" can
easily become a matter of opinion, especially during an argument about whose
fault it really was.  Sometimes, yes, it's pretty doggone obvious.  More
times, I would imagine it can be pretty tough to sort out for the
authorities and legal experts who are listening to testimony after the fact.

Philosophically and personally, the conclusion I have come to in terms of
developing my own nonvisual travel skills and new habits and practices is
that, when it comes to me the pedestrian vs. Mr. Wild Driver, or even Ms.
Safe Driver in a silent car I never heard coming, I'm going to lose either
way.  I may end up rich after the lawsuit, but I'd rather have all my bones
and organis in their original state, thank you.  /smile/

I do think that making the consequences to drivers who hit pedestrians --
blind or otherwise -- severe and meaningful and well-publicized is a good
way to improve the odds any person can walk across the street safely.  If
drivers are aware that not paying attention could really, really cost them,
a large percentage will be more likely to be aware who might not otherwise
be...  Or so I believe, based on what I know of human nature.  Which could
be all wrong.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney