[nagdu] Washington - Guide dog killed crossing Kennewick street

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 19:22:17 UTC 2010

Well said!  Disucssing the theory, the written law, the difference between
case law and the application of the written law, and so on and on does have
value.  Then again, I'm perverse enough that I actually enjoy listening in
on heated arguments between intelligent strong-willed individuals, even when
in they're in the same room yelling and waving their arms. /grin/  I have
friends with whom I cheerfully do the same thing, I'm afraid.  /grin/  Some
of them have opposing and adamant opposite points of view from me.  Some of
them are in total agreement, but just for fun we agree heatedly, with raised
voices and arm waiving and everything.  Not everyone's taste, but I guess
I'm just that kind of girl. /evil grin/

For a public discussion, I believe we all need to increase our understanding
and to express it.  On the legal vs. philosophical vs. practical issues, I
have nothing to add or subtract.  I can only make second by second decisions
to maintain my own safety and hope to, well, whatever one chooses to hope to
at the time, that I don't screw up when it's me and Mitzi vs. a moving hunk
of metal.  Even if we're legally, morally, or on whatever basis in the
right, we lose.

For NAGDU as a whole, as an organization as well as a collection of
individuals with a strong common interest, I do believe it is important to

Your question is very valid, since sooner or later we can almost guarantee
it will come up in a court of law -- if it hasn't already.

I'm also with you in not wanting to be the one who gets to find out the end
result!  Or to have anyeone I know end up being that test case.  While I
can't claim legal expertise, I did spend enough time working in law offices
-- with extensive law libraries -- that this compulsive reader has read more
actual case law than she needed to.  It is very, very easy to forget in the
reading of either written law or the case law based upon it, that there are
real people involved.  Sad, but true.

Tami Smith-Kinney