[nagdu] hybrid car noises

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Thu Mar 25 17:11:10 UTC 2010

I got a chuckle out of this to. Thanks.

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.
New York, New York  10004
www.myblindspot.org
PH: 917-553-0347
Fax: 212-858-5759
doing it."

Visit us on Facebook LinkedIn

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Jewel S.
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:58 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] hybrid car noises

There was a spoof arin the Entertainment section, I think it was the
New York Times, that was actually quite funny. These different
companies with hybrids were looking into different sounds for their
hybrids, and they told what they wanted to do. One company said their
sound was going to be either the sound of a speeder (the car-like
ships in Star Wars) or the sound of a holoship from Star Trek. Another
company said because they had several different hybrids and electric
cars, each model would have its own sound that would become an
advertisement of the car. For example, say there was a hybrid Mustang
(there i sn't). The sound for the hybrid mustang might be a galloping
horse. And when you heard the sound of a horse galloping in the city,
you would know that it was a Mustang, and you might admire its sleek
moves and nice shape, and want one.

I kinda like the idea of different sounds for different cars for one
reason (it would mean that blind people could identify a car that hit
us by model, making it easier to find), but hate the idea for another
reason (can you imagine the sound of ten hybrid cars all in the same
area, each with their own sound? It would be a chaos of sounds!)

My two cents,
Jewel simi

On 3/25/10, Tracy Carcione <carcione at access.net> wrote:
> Albert, I think of those deer whistles too, when thinking of noises to be
> added to hybrid cars.  But I also think of an old Bill Cosby bit from my
> youth.  He said all the kids had their own music that they hummed as they
> went along (way back, in the days before boomboxes).  So I picture
> everyone having their own music for their car to make.  Just my silly
> fancy.
> Tracy

nagdu:

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/herekittykat2%40gmail