[nagdu] Audible Traffic Signals

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 16:53:28 UTC 2010

Jewel,

We have the chirp and cuckoo system here, too, in downtown.  They've been
tearing the place up and putting it back together so they can tear it up
again for a couple of years now, although the project it pretty much
finished.  There are supposed to be more audible crossing signals put in as
part of the infrastructure upgrade.  I couldn't tell you because last time I
was downtown was right before Christmas, so what one heard was bands and
carolers and loud pop music of several varietes and many, many barking dogs.
/lol/  It was oddly festive, yet jarring at times.  Thank heavens I had
decided to take the opportunity to meet a friend so that we could shop and
gab together.  I honestly am not sure I could have been able to find my way
anywhere or walk three steps in a straight line otherwise, guide dog or no
guide dog!  There are drawbacks, I guess, to orienting and navigating by
sound.

The time before that, there was a loud band playing just a few blocks from
the loudest, most skull-cracking piece of sidewalk drilling machinery ever
invented.  The pitch was insane!  Even from a good six to eight blocks away,
I couldn't successfully ask for directions even when I managed to detect a
human, simply because they couldn't hear me any more than I could hear them.
That time, I was on my way to an appointment and had discovered the hard way
the bus routes had been rearranged -- again -- so the bus options I needed
were naturally somewhere else entirely.  I had to suck it up and call a cab,
but of course, I first had to find out where I was, as the drill seemed to
boring directly into my skull by now.  OMG!  Simple trip on a familiar route
with time to stop for a coffee downtown before hopping the bus at the usual
stop...  But, no!  There I am in weirdsville.  Afther having consumed the
triple grande latte thing with extra whipped cream, naturally.  So I was
totally wired.

Mitzi was just fine with all of it, seemed to be enjoying herself, did a
bang up job of guiding, bounced a couple of times at a pigeon or two but
just kept going.  /lol/  She has a very mellow temperament for a poodle, or
so I've been told.  But even mellow poodles are not known for their steady
calm under high stimulation.  It always cracks me up to see my busy girl
walk into what should be the pit of doom for a dog with a sensitive alert
system and just knuckle down to business like she's never had a jumpy
thought in her life.  Who knew?

Anyway, both times I had looked forward to passing by and getting used to
all those shiny new audible signals that had supposedly been put in and
starting to get familiar with them...  Whether the signals exist in reality
is still a mystery to me!  I'll get downtown again one of these days sooner
or later -- just as soon as I recover from the trauma as the last two times.
I'm sure I will find the chirping and cuckoo-ing very helpful.  Unless I
find myself getting off the train into another round of noise-fest. /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney