[nagdu] Audible Traffic Signals

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Mon Mar 29 22:26:57 UTC 2010

Hi, Albert and All,

I have heard, but don't know this from personal experience, that some APS
are made with built-in sound level monitors, so that, when the traffic noise
is great, the signal volume is higher, and when the traffic noise or the
general environment is quieter, the APS volume is decreased.  This gives the
correct amount of information to the traveler without disturbing the people
who live or work in the neighborhood.

Actually, I doubt that people in cities where there is lots of traffic noise
and general hubbub, construction noise, trucks unloading, backing up, etc.,
would notice or be bothered by the sound of the APS.  Once indoors, I don't
think they can hear the signal down at the corner.  I live a short block
from the chirping APS in a generally quiet suburban neighborhood, and I
cannot hear the chirping signal once I am inside my house.  I rarely notice
it even when I'm outside.  Of course, it is the kind that only chirps when
the button is pushed; it doesn't sound at every walk cycle.

When I was a child, the railroad ran across the back of my grandmother's
back yard.  I used to spend some nights at her house, and I slept in the
bedroom at the back of the house.  The first night, I would wake up every
time a train went by.  But after a day or two, I didn't even notice the
trains.  Although I like a quiet neighborhood where I can enjoy the singing
of the birds and the rustling of the tree leaves, I don't think the sound of
the audible signals, especially if they are activated only upon pressing of
the button, would add significantly to noise pollution in cities.

I do think the vibrating signals would be preferable to the audible ones, as
long as there is an audible locator sound so that the button can be located
easily.

Best,
Ann