[nagdu] Accommodations specific to guide dog teams

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Tue Mar 30 01:40:57 UTC 2010

Offer them a seat?

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.
New York, New York  10004
www.myblindspot.org
PH: 917-553-0347
Fax: 212-858-5759
doing it."

Visit us on Facebook LinkedIn

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Jewel S.
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 9:30 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Accommodations specific to guide dog teams

What an interesting story about a bus ride! The buses around Raleigh,
I have noticed, do not have much underspace. I have tried putting my
backpack under there, with no success, so I imagine a guide dog would
not fit under there, either. What to do when they have no where to go
under?

~Jewel

On 3/29/10, Tamara Smith-Kinney <tamara.8024 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Albert,
>
> The buses on the routes in my old neighborhood and in the routes I would
> take downtown or in the surrounds had space to put the dog under right up
> front, so I would just find the closest seat in the honored citizen
section
> and sit down and tell her to go under, which she would do with a great
> display of being put upon and inconvenienced.
>
> So out here, the first time I took the bus from the MAX (light rail)
> station, I got on the bus, sat down in the first available seat in the
front
> section, reminded Mitzi to go under and then started checking to make sure
> all my stuff was with me and where it should be, that nothing unexpected
was
> in the seat or that I hadn't accidentally sat on someone...  Why I check
for
> that, I do not know, but I did once come close to sitting on a tiny, tiny
> child in a movie theater thinking she must be a stray purse...  So now for
> some reason, I guess I check to make sure I have not sat down on top of a
> tiny child.  /smile/
>
> I noticed that Mitzi was not going under but was standing in the middle of
> the aisle kinda of dancing and giving me an odd grin, not like the one she
> does when she's mocking me, but I couldn't be sure.  "Under," told her
> irritably, still feeling around absent-mindedly, having now become aware
of
> a high pitched whine beside me that caused new concern I had sat down on a
> small child.  A woman's voice answered calmly from the other side of the
> child, so I gave another under command and grabbed my dog's stubborn butt
> shove it under the seat since she was being so obstinate...
>
> Oh.  Guees what?  There *was* no under.  I noticed that the whining had
> increased and that it had something to do with a doggy.  The mother
remained
> calm, explaining quietly to her child about the doggy, so I realized the
> tiny child was, in fact, sitting right beside me and was terrifed of my
> doggy, in particular.  The one I couldn't put under the seat and who was
> stuck in the middle what seemed to be an extra-narrow aisle.  /lol/
That's
> what I get for assuming the bus I get on is the same model as the ones I
am
> used to, I guess.  We were coming home from a very long day's trip, and I
> wasn't feeling particularly in the mood for all this sudden confusing and
> need for problem solving.  The bus was rolling now, so I didn't want to do
> lot of romping around in the process of finding a better place to sit, and
> the bus was fairly deserted, so the only person I could ask for
information
> was busy calming her child about the doggy.  OMG!
>
> So I decided to move to the other side of the narrow aisle and a couple of
> seats down in case I found a place to put the dog there where she would
not
> be so terrifying.  /lol/  No luck, naturally, and my long, narrow dog was
> still stuck in the middle of the aisle right in front of the kid.
>
> I was still considering my next move, when the kid gasped so loudly I
looked
> to make sure the terrifying doggy had not, in fact, attacked him.
"MOMMY!"

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/albert%40myblindspot.
> org

nagdu: