[nagdu] NFB Canes

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 05:23:02 UTC 2010

David,

I have more Advantage graphite canes with roller balls!  I really like them,
in fact, but after the injuries to my arms and hands, I developed tendinitis
and a few other -itises because I continued to use them for lots of walking
I needed to do while the injuries were still fresh...  So I stort of had to
go lighter and limit my cane use as much as possible.  Thus, Mitzi!  /grin/
I could walk with her without having to truly use the cane so long as I
stayed to familiar paths and let her leash guide many, many months before I
would even think of declaring her a guide dog!  In fact, I ended up giving
up and letting her leash guide me in her walking harness before I ever got
around to ordering her a guide dog harness.  /smile/  I would not have
dreamed of doing that in a true guiding sense, but I was able to get out and
walk like the wind with her, which I really needed.  /smile/

Anyway, I'm finally able to use the carbon fiber straight canes for sporadic
short sessions -- my poodle at the groomer practices -- but I'm building up
strength, too and beginning to wonder if I don't to go back to the Advantage
canes with the roller ball tip as my primary canes...

Just in case I need a primary cane, and also because my telescoping carbon
fiber NFB cane bit the dust and I need to get around to ordering a new one
if I'm not going to go to using the Advantage...  Decisions, decisions!
/grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney