[nagdu] walking with a cane

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 05:34:56 UTC 2010

David,

Too funny how you describe that.  /lol/  Yes, a guide dog can be helpful,
but a busy aisle intersection is also a great place to sneek some grocery
cart examination while your mom is all confused with the change in sound and
might not catch you...  /lol/  She doesn't go so far as to raid carts of
even stick her nose into them, but I can never be sure she's not thinking
about it.  She definitely sticks the nose too close to the cart with the
interesting smells than I feel is courteous.  I have been run down by the
elderly that way, but they weren't very speedy, so no one got hurt.

I've never felled anyone completely, but I did trip a woman whizzing down
the hall of an office building while I was whizzing to stick my cane into
the intersection at just the right time.  She was pretty agile, though, so
she managed to jump it and we did a little dance to keep from running into
each other, tried to out apologize each other, then moved on.

It took me forever to get over approaching intersecting hallways with less
caution I would if I knew I would step into a crowd of hungry wolverines.
/lol/  And I became extra-terrified of elderly, less abled and nimble folks
who could actually get hurt by tripping over my cane.

It really did take a while to learn to use smaller steps and a more close in
technique in crowded places, but it is nice to know the dog will take me
around people without my having to do them in just so I will know their
there.  Also, I fear the enraged spouses and relatives.  /grin/

I've tripped myself over my own cane, though, so that's a great
accomplishment.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney