[nagdu] NFB and Airlines

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 16:31:03 UTC 2010

Steve,

Thanks!  And wow! /smile/  History lessons are always very instructive for
me, and super helpful in providing me context for my own expectations and
experience as a more newbie blind.  Well, in a way.  I knew about the NFB
and that it was doing things and that things were happening during the
extended period that I functioned as a legally sighted person aware that she
would at some unspecified point in the future be legally and eventually
totally blind.  Those of you who had to get arrested just to make a minor
gain while I was still driving around and working on a print-reading based
career were individually and collectively fighting hard to create a world in
which I would soon cheerfully expect to be treated like an equal who happens
to need a white cane and some way to read that doesn't involve print on
paper...  And to be royally cheesed off when my expectations are not met!
While I have the extreme pleasure of meeting young people who happen to be
blind -- or deafblind or blind and you name it -- who are well-educated,
self-confident, itinerate up and comers, often kicking their fully-abled
peers' ... well, you know what I'm saying.

Thanks to all the discussion of the issues on this list, I will be much more
knowledgeable and prepared next time I fly with my poodle guide.  Just in
case!  Not having a strategy in place for that one security hassle in
Houston, I was completely floored and did not come up with an effective way
to communicate and educate -- or complain to someone in charge.  My bad!  I
got educated by the experience, though, so can hope I do better next time!

Thanks again for the excellent information.

Tami Smith-Kinney