[nagdu] NFB and Airlines

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 16:47:51 UTC 2010

Dan,

So do you use a cane to get through the security gate, or do they let you go
with your dog?

I had a problem with that myself, and naturally had left my carrying cane in
my backpack when I sent it rhrough.  Sigh.  I had gone through a security
check already that morning, and it was hassle free for both of us...  So all
of the heavy handedness and all came as a real shock, and having to go back
and forth through the stupid metal detector got very, very disorienting.
And upsetting to my still very young dog.  I was unprepared for any of it,
mentally or informationally, so I ended up just trying to go with the flow
and noticing that it wasn't working for me.  Live and learn!

Anyway, my plan for flying again includes having a metal free pocket cane
for me, and a metal free leash for Mitzi so I have the option of removing
the harness to take her through if I need to...  Although I've been learning
enough hear to realize that removing the harness is going too far just to
avoid a bit of possible hassle, so my plan is changing.

Tami Smith-Kinney