[nagdu] major dilemma

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Fri Nov 12 12:39:12 UTC 2010

bernadetta,

Gentle hugs to you.  I can see from your words how difficult this is for
you.

What I have done with all my dogs, guides and pets, is to make a list of the
things that are most important to them.  I list things unique to that dog
that really make them happy, things that they live for.  My first guide it
was things like sniffing in the yard, meeting people especially children,
sleeping on the couch, interest in the trash, howling at sirens etc.  When
the dog starts to lose physical ability due to age or illness I look at that
list long and hard.  I have to decide if the dog's quality of life  has
diminished to the point where she is suffering.  I should have let my first
guide go before I did.  she was in a lot of pain and I was in denial because
she was stoic about her pain.  She couldn't do many of the things she could
when she was healthy, but I refused to acknowledge her suffering because it
was emotionally painful.

No matter what you decide it will be hard.  I'm sorry, there just aren't any
easy answers.  I hope TSE will help with the surgery and that it is
successful.

All my best to you,
Julie