[nagdu] Steps

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 15 11:37:43 UTC 2010

James,
    Many training programs do not teach "intelligent disobedience" on steps,
including the program from which I got my dog. I have trained him on this.
When we are ata down or up step, I give the command "Forward!". If it is a
up or down durb, my dog proceeds. If it is more than one step up or down, he
refuses until I pair the "Up" or Down" command with the "Forward" command.
For instance and especially at a flight of down stairs , I tap the step with
my foot and praise him. Then I say, "Forward". If he proceeds, I drop the
handle and correct him. The next time, I give the same command while pulling
the leash to the right to create a body block, offering lots of praise as he
does this. I repeat this until he body blocks for me on his own. Then I give
the command "Forward - Down!", praising him exuberantly when he does! HTH!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala