[nagdu] Too much petting from roommates

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 22:34:40 UTC 2010

Laura,

People's answers to this question will probably differ widely.  My dog
is a Doberman mix.  She is, by nature, a very reserved dog.  I am one
of those people who doesn't mind if people pet as long as they ask
first.  I first started doing this when she was in training because I
wanted to get her used to all different types of people.  Also I found
that a great way to teach her to ignore people petting her was to set
up many situations where people pet her, then train her to ignore
petters.  As I said; she's a reserved dog-- so she picked this up
quickly.
When she's not working, she's just a regular dog.  My friends and
family pet her; people at the dog park pet her and it's not a problem.
So my long answer to your question is that no, it doesn't impact our
work together at all because she is petted by many people.

I think it's important to change up the working routine of a dog from
time to time.  Especially a young dog, or a dog who gets bored
quickly.  I do this by going a different rout, stopping work mid-rout
and doing a quick play session, or just going somewhere new altogether
where the dog has never worked previously.
   I also try to make the destination rewarding so she'll want to get
there.  My dog is clicker trained and I treat frequently at down
curbs, not only to keep that stopping behavior at a high schedule of
reinforcement, but to keep things exciting.
I know I get bored doing the same thing over and over again, so I try
to avoid this with my dog.
Good luck.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds:
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe."-Albert Einstein
http://www.pawpowercreations.com
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl