[nagdu] Too much petting from roommates

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 22:14:45 UTC 2010

Hi Laura.

I do not let others pet the dog while she is in harness, and for the
first few months, I was very reluctant to let anyone pet her even out
of harness.  Brie is very friendly, and she gets easily distracted by
people.  She also, like your dog, gets board doing the same roots over
and over again.  Like Rox, I try to make the roots interesting.  We
have been working on some new commands, such as targetting chairs(this
is not always successful), and this captures her interest very quickly
and speeds up her pace.  I have also been able to praise Brie for
ignoring people petting her.  She still slips up sometimes, but
usually if she is working, she doesn't even acknowledge someone
petting her unless it's someone she knows.  We still struggle with
that.  It's difficult.  I guess what I'm trying to say in all this
mess is that maybe you should keep working on your dog ignoring them a
little bit.  Praise your dog for not responding to their commands.
Don't always give him the chance to play with your roommates.  Just a
couple suggestions.