[nagdu] Blind woman fights to raise awareness

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 12:08:12 UTC 2010

Blind Taunton woman fights to raise awareness about guide dog
rights, gets an assist from Uno Chicago Grill.
Taunton Gazette Photo By Charles Winokoor.Kathleen Tasca, left,
marketing coordinator for Uno Chicago Grill on County Street,
seen here with Heather Maloney, of Taunton, and her guide dog.
By CHARLES WINOKOOR
Staff Writer
Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 11:57 PM
http://www.tauntongazette.com/features/x1703571701/Blind-Taunton-
woman-fights-to-raise-awareness-about-guide-dog-rights-gets-an-as
sist-from-Uno-Chicago-Grill

Taunton - After the Taunton Daily Gazette ran story about the
tribulations of Heather Maloney and her guide dog, Maloney said
she thought more folks would understand that she has as much of a
right as anyone to patronize businesses.

And although she has come across people who have shown sympathy
and support, Maloney said she's still surprised at the reaction
of people who simply don't understand that the legally blind have
a right to take their guide dogs into establishments.

"It's as if I stepped off a space ship with my dog. I guess I'm
going to have to develop a tough exterior," Maloney said.

Maloney, 41, lives in Taunton and suffers from a degenerative eye
condition known as retinitis pigmentosa. She applied for a dog
from the nonprofit Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation in 2009 after
realizing her peripheral and night vision capabilities were
getting worse and compromising her safety.

In October, Maloney was featured in the Taunton Daily Gazette
after her dog trainer called police to report that the owner of
an eyebrow-threading salon reportedly told Maloney her guide dog
would have to stay outside because she was afraid of dogs.

Maloney also claimed she had been treated poorly after ordering a
coffee in a local Dunkin' Donuts.

One of the people who read the story and watched subsequent
television coverage was Kathleen Tasca, marketing coordinator for
Uno Chicago Grill at 904 County St.

"I felt terrible for her (Maloney), and angry," said Tasca, a
self-described animal lover.
Part of Tasca's job in promoting Uno is to organize "Dough
Raisers," fundraising efforts whereby 15 percent of every table's
food bill - and 20 percent of sales past the thousand-dollar mark
- is given to a nonprofit agency or charitable cause.

Tasca, after doing some research into Fidelco, called Maloney and
pitched the idea of a Dough Raiser for the dog training
foundation.

As a result, the County Street Uno will host a Fidelco Dough
Raiser on Dec. 17, from 11:30 a.m. to midnight. Vouchers for the
event are available online and at the restaurant.

"I'm amazed she called me," Maloney said. "I'm really grateful
that (the restaurant) is doing something positive to help."

Maloney said Fidelco is a worthy choice for the popular
fundraising program. After all, she said, they provided her (at
no cost) with the small and gentle German Shepherd she has come
to love and rely upon.

She said she hopes that any additional publicity will help inform
people in the Taunton area that there's nothing weird about a
person with a guide dog riding a bus or coming into a coffee shop
or restaurant.

"I'm definitely not doing this for the media attention," Maloney
said.

Copyright 2010 The Taunton Gazette. Some rights reserved