[nagdu] Freedom for guide dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Fri Nov 26 18:39:24 UTC 2010

Well, just my opinion.
First of all, with outside do you mean a fenced-in area or an open space
with no borders?
If it's fenced-in, then really no harm done and let him run around and get
rid of pent up energy.
If it's totally open, I would say that letting her off lead is ill-advised.
Perhaps you could buy a flexi-lead to give your dog more space to roam
without getting away.
I have a fifteen foot nylon leash I bought about 15 years ago, one foot per
year--lol.
The problem is that your dog can get tangled up in it.
So, fenced-in area, all right, open area, not so hot--smile.
Indoors, well, and this is just a general comment, I find that people are
really uptight about everything their dogs do. How can your dog learn what's
expected without freedom in the house. Besides, keeping him/her on leash if
it's your home will make you a nervous wreck and start feeling like a
burden.
Even the best guide dogs I've seen will eventually do something silly in the
house, so don't sweat the little stuff.

Perhaps unorthodox but my two cent worth anyway.