[nagdu] News on investigation of SkyTrain incident

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 10:37:40 UTC 2010

CKNW Local News

A sensitive issue
VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)
Brett Mineer Email news tips to Brett
10/7/2010

As Translink continues its investigation into an incident last
week when a guide dog was dragged by a Skytrain, staff are being
told to keep close watch over passengers trying to board.

A woman's guide dog was dragged last week after the door closed
on it's leash.

Ken Hardie says there are sensors in the doors that detect if
something is caught, but flaps of clothing or a dog leash are
just too thin to be detected, "There are a number of different
things involved here and we're going to require as much work from
staff as we will from the public itself and particularly people
with guide dogs or kids on tethers. You know, understand the
situation that you're in and manage accordingly."

He says Translink is consulting with it's Access Advisory Board
and reviewing video.

In the meantime, the dogs owner is dealing with an independent
insurance adjuster in hopes of recouping vet bills.