[nagdu] Heels (shoes) and Guide Dogs

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:57:33 UTC 2010

Everyone always wonders how I wear my boots, but really, they are more
comfortable for me than many non-heeled dress shoes! The reason is
that they are ankle-boots, so they go up over my ankles and support
them. I could *not* wear four-inch heels on a sandal-style shoe...I'd
fall on my arse trying to stand! But these give ankle support, so I'm
not worried (as much( about sprained ankles...if my foot turns, the
boot supports it to keep it from turning all the way.

The adjustable support cane was purchased from the National NFB Center
when I went there in May. It was an outgoing product (no longer in
stock), though, so I'm not sure where to get one. I have a different
white cane that I use when I am on heels. It's about six inches longer
than my usual white cane (extra length to make sure nothing is in the
way, because if I trip...whoops!)

I like the idea expressed of making sure the harness is always at
pocket-level. I think that would prove the best practice, though what
level you decide is best depends on the person maybe? Just pick your
best level and make sure it's always at that level. If it's lower than
that by much, time to see about getting a different harness for those
dress shoes!