[nagdu] Going to Jail

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sat Oct 16 15:15:00 UTC 2010

Well, I think you should do what you're comfortable with.
If bringing your guide dog and working her, or was it him? Then that's what
you should do.
If you'd feel more comfortable without your four-legged sidekick, you should
do that too.
I know many people don't like the ice breaker function of a dog, but frankly
the dog might be an ice-breaker as many inmates haven't seen a dog for a
long long time.
I know that Toni Eames, who is I believe on this list, went to jail with her
dog, to visit someone that is--smile.
Also Ed Eames and his dog were there, so that's two people, two dogs, and
apparently it worked out.

I suppose when I think of jail I get a bit scared, but Hell, these guys are
people who just have happened to be caught doing something which law
forbids, some are jerks, some just have been caught in circumstances and so
on, so I think if I had to go I'd try to keep that in mind.

Let us know what happens as you're getting me really curious about what's
going to happen.

Now, on the subject of places which claim special circumstances to forbid
access, what would you all have done in this case:
When in Japan, we went to Yokohama University.  There was a tour of the
library and a special section in the library was set aside for old
manuscripts.
I was told I couldn't bring my dog because he would damage the manuscripts,
dog hair might fly around.
Of course, meanwhile, everyone was wearing street cloths and apparently, I'm
told som some of my fellow students weren't really wearing clean stuff, if
you get where I'm going with this.
I told them I wouldn't park my dog somewhere and I therefore was excluded
from the tour.
I said I'd be glad to keep my dog under control and be really careful about
keeping him away from any part of the display, including my willingness to
stay in one place while everyone else moved towards the display to look at
manuscripts, after all I don't really care about them.
It was presented to me as, either leave the dog during the entire tour, or
don't go, not even leave your dog during that part of the tour.
So, I waited with my dog while the other guys went.
Of course, my wonderful sighted colleagues and professors berated me, but I
felt I would be rather ill-advised to just leave Evan in a room in a place I
didn't know, that's how dogs get lost.

So, what do you all think.
I think I did the right thing.  I didn't really care about the tour, but I
did feel excluded--smile

Dan W.